Monday, July 21, 2014

Sarhad


 
 
I am Punjabi girl and my both my paternal and maternal grandparents were from Pakistan who came to Delhi post partition. Growing up I had heard the names of their ancestral towns often and had also heard numerous stories that mentioned the lanes that they lived in and people they were with. Since grade 10 or so I have had this desire to visit Pakistan and see the country. I don’t want to label it as knowing my roots but I guess the need is to be associated to the legacy and experience it first hand.
 
I finally had the chance to travel to Lahore for my work and when my management asked me if I would be keen on the travel, I immediately agreed.
 
As a preparation of the travel I read on Pakistan, was very thoughtful of how I would dress there and greet there amongst other things. When the day of travel came I was a bundle of excitement. We were to cross into Pakistan through the Wagah border. While the cab dropped us off at the India side of the border we had to cross the zero line on foot (about 100 meters of stretch) before entering into Pakistan. For some unknown reason walking that zero line gave me goose bumps.
 
As I entered into the Pakistan side of the border was greeted very warmly by the immigration and the custom officers. They inquired about the reason for visit and other things and promptly assisted me with the baggage clearance. A car was ready to receive us and take us to our hotels, because of it being an official visit we were exempted the typical every day reporting into the police station( a norm for any person travelling from Pakistan to India and vice versa).
Lahore being a Punjab prominent area, the main languages are Punjabi and Urdu and because of my grandparents I happen to understand and speak both languages rather fluently. It was something that helped me a lot in my interactions especially when I visited the older part of the city. I was there for the total of 6 days and each day is now filled with fond memories of numerous people who have walked upto me during the days and asked me “aap hindustaan se hai” followed by “Allah aapko salamat rakhe.” Restaurant owners refused to take money from us. Shopkeepers wanted to present us with beautiful fabrics. My most touching experience was when auto rickshaw driver hearing my Punjabi asked aap Karachi se hai and I said nahee Dilli se he did not take any fare from me and requested if I could agree for a picture with him so that he can show his Children that a Hindistani Aapa met him today because though half of his family stays in India, he can never meet them due to the visa norms.
 
On the day of the return I was surprised to find a gift parcel into my hotel room which was from one of the girls who had helped me in the event and it had a beautiful stole and a hand written note saying “AApa hindustaan jaaker zaroor yaad rakhiyega” and I could not hold back the tears.
 
While walking back the zero line I realized the importance of the Lakeer, ever more so!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment